Oct 4, 2009

Backpacking adventure...

Owen, two of his brothers Bridger and Trevor, our two dogs and I all went on a REALLY, REALLY LONG backpacking trip this past weekend. It was From Wire Pass, threw the Paria Canyon and ending at Lee's Ferry. It was a 44 mile hike and we did it in 3 days. They say most people get it done in 4-5 days. Anyway, at the end of the first day, I managed to twist my ankle and mess up one knee. I just went down hill from there. I didn't complain at all, well tried not to. I think the guys could just tell from my old lady hobble that I was struggling. lol Anyway, I made it out of the canyon with a swollen ankle, two messed up knees and severe cracked/dried legs (I'm talking cracked and bleeding!)
Day One...
We trudged threw stinky mud up to our chest several times over again, saw some beautiful things and ate some well wanted food.
This is a picture taken right before we headed in the canyon.

above is Owen and I without packs and below is of us with the packs... Big and heavy!

A few shots of the nasty, stinky, sludge pits...

It was like this all up our bodies after about the 20th sludge pool and man did it STINK!!!

Still smiling... Still the first day! (: This was one of the petrogliphs that we found.

Bridger looks sooooo happy to be walking threw the water still. (;

Just a fun posing hole.

This was such a breath taking canyon trek... The sites were AMAZING!!!

This is our first camp site... Impressed?!? I thought it was very comfy and beautiful! (:
Day 2:
This was one of the springs that we found. I wanted to taste it, so I did and it was YUMMY and COOL!!!

Just beautiful, isn't it???

All of us taking a well needed rest stop! I was ready for B*E*D!!!

We were in and out of water the ENTIRE time. I was fine with the dirt water, just not so much the stinky mud (the mud was really only the first 13 miles).

My toad buddy I found... Isn't it cute? I thought so! (;
Night 2:

Day 3:
I hurt ALL over here and was trying to be enthused about our last almost 19 miles left to go.


This was the most beautiful thing I had seen all day (hint of sarcasm). This corral marked the last mile and a half of our trek.... Meaning we were a mile and a half from the finishing point!
The End!
It was totally worth doing once. I'm not to sure I would EVER do the wire pass part again, but It was all so beautiful and I can't believe I did it (thanks guys for being patient with all my getting hurt and all!)!!!
If you click on this picture to enlarge it, you can see the cracked skin that I was talking about that all of us got. I was the only one (I think) that got it on the front of their legs. We all got it all over our calves and man does it sting!!! Anyway, you can also see my swollen ankle. From my knees down everything is really swollen too for some reason.

3 comments:

bryce and paige said...

YOU ARE THE WOMAN!!! Holy COW! I'm truly SO impressed! Way to go, not sure I would do that one again either, very pretty though.

Brenda E said...

13 miles through the sludge would be grueling enough. It must have slowed you all down tremendously. You have impressed me. I hope the you feel better quickly. I am wondering what the cause of the severely dried skin was from. I am also wondering if all the mud has something to do with it. It might be a good idea to ask the park rangers about it or someone who might have a better idea.

Unknown said...

You rock! That is awesome =)